Friday, December 18, 2009

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar

Yet another great cookbook from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar is a pint-sized book containing 100 vegan cookie recipes broken down into catergories such as, “Drop cookies”,“Fancy Cookies,” and “Sliced and Rolled Cookies.”

Just like other books written by these two,the writing style is conversational, and the recipes are clearly written and easy to follow. Before you bake you should read Part One on "Cookie Science," which contains a section on the tools recommended and required, a section on ingredients (there's a gluten-free flour blend that can be substituted), and a troubleshooting section to help with common cookie problems should your cookies not turn out as you had hoped. Throughout the book there are “morsels”, which are bite-sized suggestions to enhance your recipe. Of course there are lots of glossy mouthwatering photos to inspire as well. I even appreciate the size of this book (about half the height of an average paperback cookbook), making it easy to fit in a small working space with all of your ingredients.

There are a wide range of spices and flavours used. Imagine Sweet Wine biscuits with Sesame, or Chocolate Chip Chai Spiced Shortbread. Or how about a Whole Wheat Fig Bar or Caramel Pecan Bar? If you can't make up your mind you could just start with the Banana Everything Cookie, which the authors describe as “a clean out your cupboard kind of cookie.”

I tried the recipes for Citrus Glitters, Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles (with cayenne & cocoa), Linzertorte Thumbprints, Old-Fashioned Pie Plate Shortbreads, and the Lemon Bars. I had success with all of the recipes, and felt like a pro when I pulled each tray from the oven to reveal the bite-sized wonders.

This book will definitely make you the vegan cookie queen or king in your household.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Fundraising Event a Success

Thanks to everyone who came out for this fabulous event! We raised $1,019.85 total for Hearts on Noses! Thank you all for contributing so generously!

The chilly temperatures didn't seem to slow anyone down, and the cold was soon forgotten
with Sarah Kramer's warm smile and greeting for everyone. We also had an unexpected treat when Bif Naked showed up for the event. Thanks for coming Bif, it was great to see you!

And of course we have to thank Sarah Kramer again for joining us in store, signing calendars and cookbooks, and just for being so much fun!

If you didn't get a copy of one of Sarah's cookbooks on Saturday, we do have a few signed copies of La Dolce Vegan, How it All Vegan, and The Garden of Vegan in the store for sale. We also still have copies of her calendar just in case you thought of someone else who might enjoy it for 2010.

I hope everyone got to sample from the vegan hors d'oeuvres provided by Vegan Mania and the cupcakes baked by the Vancouver Vegan Cupcake Queen. Thank you Christa and Cera for providing the treats.

I think a good time was had by all, and with the store wide discount many of you stocked up on your favourites. Thanks again to all for making our fundraiser such a success!