Monday, February 15, 2010

Vegan Brunch

When I was given Isa Chandra-Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch as a gift, I never thought I'd use it. I thought, "how often do I really eat brunch?" Well, once a week as it turns out, especially since I delved into this book and started having fun trying out new recipes. I wanted to share some of the results I've had.

I opened the book looking for new ideas for my scrambled tofu. Not only did I find new ideas, but I ended up making omelettes instead!

I made Tofu Omelettes stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and collard greens. Moskowitz offers many other combinations for filling your omelettes as well. I also added a little daiya cheese to mine towards the end of the cooking, and voila beautiful omelettes. They were quick and easy to make, and the results were delicious.

Like some of her other books, Isa Chandra-Moskowitz walks you through each recipe, giving tips along the way. If a recipe looks like too many steps, she directs you to what you can make the night before.

When I made the Lemon-Cashew stuffed Crepes with the Berry Sauce, I prepared the crepe batter the night before, and soaked the cashews. In the morning I could let the berry sauce cook while I prepared the crepes.

Making crepes was a new experience for me, but I felt less intimidated using this book as my guide, and I was pretty happy with the results.

The Tofu Benny was probably my favourite to make so far because it looked and tasted so impressive, and was really easy to make. I marinated the tofu overnight as suggested, and then cooked it the next morning while I made the faux-hollandaise sauce. I opted to serve the Tofu Benny atop the Diner Home Fries as opposed to the English Muffin simply because I had potatoes on hand, and no English muffins (if I wanted to make my own English muffins she also has a recipe for these as well!) This is by far my favourite recipe so far. The hollandaise sauce is the best! It is so flavourful and rich.

Other recipes I'd recommend from this book are the Bakery Style Berry Muffins, the Brazilian French Toast, and the Swiss Chard Frittata.

There is a wide range of recipes, and if you enjoy brunch or have wanted to enjoy brunch, this is definitely a fun book to have on hand to try something new, or try a new spin on something you've made before.

Friday, February 5, 2010

PETA seeking help for Seal Hunt Demonstrations

PETA is looking for an activist to help campaigner Virginia Fort with an upcoming events in the BC area. The events details are below. If anyone is interested in any or all three of these opportunities please notify Sarah Gawricki (see contact info below) as soon as possible, as they need to find someone soon!

Here are the details as forwarded to us from PETA.

• Feb 10th 12-1pm
    Vancouver, BC Giant Seal Demonstration. We need someone to help us set up the giant seal and pass out materials. This will be our most important demonstration, so you do not want to miss it!

Please let me know as soon as you can if you can make it. Thanks so much!

Sarah Gawricki
Assistant Action Team Coordinator, PETA
757-962-8397
SarahG@peta.org

Monday, February 1, 2010

Vegan Bake Sale to Help Haiti

To raise money for the relief efforts in Haiti there will be a vegan bake sale. All of the proceeds will go to the Humanitarian Coalition where the Canadian government will match funds raised dollar for dollar.

Radha Yoga and Eatery has offered up their space to host the bake sale, and Frazey Ford of the Be Good Tanyas will be performing to help raise even more funds for Haiti.

When: Thursday, February 4th

Time: 6:30-10 p.m.

Where: Radha Yoga & Eatery 728 Main St., Vancouver, B.C.

If you would like to read more about this event and how it came to be, visit Liberation B.C.'s blog, where Gabrielle Pope writes a guest blog post.